Ballarat Arts Alive Committee of Management Roles
There is an expectation that committee members attend all committee meetings and contribute their experiences skills and commitment to the Arts in Ballarat and region. All committee members have the authority, together, to develop policies, procedures and regulations. Non-attendance by elected members at 3 consecutive meetings without an apology will be deemed as a resignation.
All members can come to committee meetings, even if they are not on the committee, however members cannot vote on decisions at these meeting, your views though will be taken into account. There are specific roles for members of the committee, and each role has specific responsibilities. Here they are:
- Lead the committee and assure the Committee fulfills its responsibilities and adheres to the legal bindings of “incorporation”. Member of Executive.
- Chair meetings in an agreed format, see that meetings are run effectively, develop agenda with Secretary;
- With the Secretary, ensure all information is stored, exchanged and handled in accordance with the Victorian Privacy laws and the Information Privacy Act 2000;
- Prepare a Presidents report for AGM;
- Focus the Committee’s attention on matters of institutional governance that relate to its own structure, role, and relationship to management;
- Be assured that the Committee is satisfied it has fulfilled all of its responsibilities;
- Actively manage the business of the organisation;
- See that resolutions of the board are carried into effect;
- Sign and deliver in the name of the organisation all documents pertaining to the business of the organisation, except in cases in which the authority to sign and deliver is required by law to be exercised by another person.
VICE PRESIDENT Function:
- Assist the President by acting in the President’s absence. Member of Executive.
- Understand the responsibilities of the President and be able to perform these duties in the Presidents absence;
- Chair meetings in the absence of or at the request of the President;
- Carry out special assignments as requested by the committee or President;
- Responsible for keeping records. Member of Executive.
- Keep records of committee meetings (as minutes), official documents and email lists (committee, members)
- Overseeing the taking of minutes at meetings (usually minute-taker);
- Sending out General meeting notice, minutes and agendas to all committee members;
- Assuring that corporate records are maintained (e.g. membership database);
- Assume responsibilities of the chair in the absence of President and vice president;
- Provide notice of Annual and Special meetings when required;
- Understand the rules of the organisation and support executive to ensure they are followed.
- Responsible for financial management of the organisation. Member of Executive.
- Understand financial accounting for non-profit organisations;
- Provide a financial report for each meeting and prepare budgets when required (including the annual budget);
- Make financial information available to the committee;
- Manage the committee’s financial responsibilities e.g. paying bills, maintaining bank accounts, collect membership fees, monies, income and expenditure.
- Ensure cheques are correctly signed (by two committee members)
- Review the annual audit and answer any questions about any financial matters.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER Function:
- Responsible for communication & marketing via website, social media and email. Member of Executive.
- Writing Blog posts on www.ballaratartsalive.org website
- Managing Fortnightly Newsletter
- Managing Social Media Outlets
- Events Marketing & Promotion
- Managing emails regarding website & social media
MEMBERSHIP OFFICER Function:
- Responsible for membership base, records and welcoming new members. Member of Executive.
- Keeping up-to-date records of members (online & hard copies)
- Provide a membership update report for each COM meeting (can be via email, no need to turn up for meetings)
- Welcome new members via email or letter
- Replying to emails regarding membership
- Annual reminder correspondence
- Sending out Membership Cards
ORDINARY MEMBERS (2 minimum) Function:
- To undertake jobs and responsibilities as requested by the committee or President.
- Be well informed on agenda items prior to meetings;
- Contribute knowledge, consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions, and help the committee make decisions reflecting the vision of the committee and the organisation;
- Maintain an interest in the programs and objectives of Ballarat Arts Alive.
- Contribute to the work of the subcommittees, leading and facilitating where appointed;
Committee members agree to:
- Make every effort to attend committee meetings;
- Start on time and finish on time;
- Participate and contribute;
- A willingness to state our own convictions, and to accept majority decision when not exactly to our liking;
- Actively listen to others; seek to understand then be understood;
- Follow up on actions we are responsible for;
- Give open and honest feedback in a constructive manner;
- Deal openly and directly with the other committees members when pleased, or displeased;
- Maintain confidentiality and respect the privacy of the committee and committee members;
- Provide leadership to plan and meet goals that support the committee and the organisation.